Monday, June 8, 2009

BBQ Pulled Pork


3.5 lbs. of pork shoulder + 1 Bottle of Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce= One very happy Husband!

There were lots of inspiration and help with this pulled pork recipe but the main thing was this Dr. Pepper Barbecue sauce we use. We have used it on chicken mainly but now it will be used to make this recipe! Talk about finger-licking good and messy! The smells coming from the crockpot all day were so yummy it was hard to wait until it was all done! Also, I must thank my wonderful mother and brother for the crockpot!!!! It is so awesome and it will get lots of use!

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I will say right off the bat, I didn't measure the seasonings that I put on the pork. I just did enough until it looked covered. I used for this recipe:

1 3.5 lbs. pork shoulder
1 cup water
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Chili Powder (a lot less than the others at least half)
1 bottle of Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce
2 store bought Kaiser rolls

I put the pork shoulder in the crockpot on the lowest setting after seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder all over the cut of meat. I then poured 1 cup of water over it in the crockpot. 

I covered it for approx. 1 1/2 hours and then turned the pork over and turn it on high. A couple of hours later I turned the heat back down to low and turned the shoulder over again. 

After another couple of hours it was starting to get tender, so I took out the bone and removed most of the liquid. I then started to shred the meat and pour half of the bottle of sauce and replaced the lid of the crockpot. 

About 6 hours into cooking (so 30-45 mins later), I shredded some more of the meat (the last that really became tender) and pour the last half of the barbecue sauce on it and mixed it in with the pork. I let it sit covered on low heat while I got the plates and sliced the rolls open. It was so good!!!





1 comment:

  1. Looks great Heather, I'll give it a try. Where do you find the Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce?

    ReplyDelete